python beginner problem(?)

Alan Illeman illemann at surfbest.net
Wed Feb 6 19:24:56 EST 2008

Win2k Pro - installed python: ok

Example 2.1 from DiveIntoPython tutorial copied
and pasted into "Pythonwin - Python IDE and GUI
Framework for Windows."
def buildConnectionString(params):
    """Build a connection string from a dictionary of parameters.

    Returns string."""
    return ";".join(["%s=%s" % (k, v) for k, v in params.items()])

if __name__ == "__main__":
    myParams = {"server":"mpilgrim", \
                "database":"master", \
                "uid":"sa", \
                "pwd":"secret" \
                }
    print buildConnectionString(myParams)

produces..

>>> C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin\pywin\mfc\object.py:
23: DeprecationWarning: raising a string exception is deprecated
  raise win32ui.error, "The MFC object has died."
pwd=secret;database=master;uid=sa;server=mpilgrim

DiveIntoPython example 2.1 result:
server=mpilgrim;uid=sa;database=master;pwd=secret

..which I realise is essentially the same (except for order).

I haven't ever (not that I remember) installed MFC.

Help!

tia
Alan