SV: Running test01.py under Windows (basic level)

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Feb 29 01:04:00 EST 2008

En Fri, 29 Feb 2008 02:30:43 -0200, K Viltersten <tmp1 at viltersten.com>
escribió:

>>> I have v2.5.2 installed and i've composed
>>> a source code i'm sure everybody will be
>>> impressed by. It goes like this.
>>>
>>> def bloppA ():
>>>     print "a very advanced piece of code"
>>>
>>> What i get to work is to make it run from
>>> the the snakes shell. Then, i realised
>>> that such a masterpiece needs storing in
>>> a file. So i saved it in a file called
>>> great.py   but when i executed:
>>
>> python great.py
>> from the system prompt (cmd).
>> Or, if you are using IDLE ...
>> File -> Open, open your saved file, and use
>> the Run menu (or press F5).
>
> There will be poking around with %PATH%, i can
> tell. Never liked to do that under Windows.

No need to do that... Create an "alias.txt" file containing:
python=c:\path\to\your\python.exe $*

Execute (once, logged as administrator):
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Command Processor" /v AutoRun /t REG_SZ
/d "doskey /macrofile=path\to\your\alias.txt"

Open a new cmd console. Typing python is enough to invoke the interpreter
- no need to modify PATH.

Documentation for the DOSKEY command:
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/f7f45601-5178-48c6-9219-51bd6f7abd3f1033.mspx

If you don't like the above recipe, create a "python.cmd" file containing:
@c:\path\to\your\python.exe %*
and save it somewhere in your PATH.

>> Beware of \ as it's the escape character, so
>> you have to use "c:\\loj\\python\\great.py"
>> or r"c:\loj\python\great.py"...
>
> I've tried to add the extra backslashes (or "r"
> attribute) but i still get the same error at
> the colon. Should i understand that i made two
> mistakes (the first being not using double "\"
> and the second calling exec alltogether)?

exec is used to execute a string containing python code, not a file name.
execfile does what you want, but don't use it. Either execute your program
with `python name.py`, or load it into IDLE and run it with F5, or learn
how to make your favorite IDE/text editor Python-aware (if supported).

>> have you worked out the Tutorial?
>
> Not yet. I started off using some small things.
> I tend to learn by doing. Or rather making. A
> lot of errors, that is.   :)

At least overview it. Python syntax is very clear and legible, so probably
you can figure yourself a lot of things, but there are some important
topics that you have to know and are explained in the Tutorial. It isn't
very long.

--
Gabriel Genellina