network programming: how does s.accept() work?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Feb 26 00:08:31 EST 2008

7stud wrote:
> On Feb 25, 10:56 am, Thomas Bellman <bell... at lysator.liu.se> wrote:
>> 7stud <bbxx789_0... at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> The question I'm really trying to answer is: if a client connects to a
>>> host at a specific port, but the server changes the port when it
>>> creates a new socket with accept(), how does data sent by the client
>>> arrive at the correct port?  Won't the client be sending data to the
>>> original port e.g. port 5052 in the client code above?
>> The answer is that the server *doesn't* change its port.  As you
>> could see in the output of your server, the socket that accept()
>> returned also had local port 5052.  Each *client* will however
>> get a unique local port at *its* end.
>>
>> A TCP connection is identified by a four-tuple:
>>
>>     ( localaddr, localport, remoteaddr, remoteport )
>>
>> Note that what is local and what is remote is relative to which
>> process you are looking from.  If the four-tuple for a specific
>> TCP connection is ( 127.0.0.1, 5052, 127.0.0.1, 50816 ) in your
>> server, it will be ( 127.0.0.1, 50816, 127.0.0.1, 5052 ) in the
>> client for the very same TCP connection.
>>
>> Since your client hasn't bound its socket to a specific port, the
>> kernel will chose a local port for you when you do a connect().
>> The chosen port will be more or less random, but it will make
>> sure that the four-tuple identifying the TCP connection will be
>> unique.
>>

> You seem to be describing what I see:

There can be many TCP connections to a server all using the same
endpoint. Take a look at the traffic coming out of any busy web server:
everything that comes out of the same server comes from port 80. That
doesn't stop it listening for more connections on port 80.

The server disambiguates the packets when it demultiplexes the
connection packet streams by using the remote endpoint to differentiate
between packets that are part of different connections. TCP guarantees
that no two ephemeral port connections from the same client will use the
same port.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119