ANN: Phatch = PHoto bATCH processor and renamer based on PIL

Daniel Fetchinson fetchinson at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 24 14:32:07 EST 2008

> I'm pleased to announce the release of Phatch which is a
> powerful batch processor and renamer. Phatch exposes a big part of the
> Python Imaging Library through an user friendly GUI. (It is using
> python-pyexiv2 to offer more extensive EXIF and IPTC support.) Phatch
> is not targeted at manipulating individual pictures (such as with
> Gimp), but repeating the same actions on hundreds or thousands of
> images.
>
> If you know PIL and have some nice recipes laying around, it is very
> easy to write plugins as Phatch generates the corresponding GUI
> automagically just like in Django. Any existings PIL scripts can be
> added very easily. Let me know if you want to contribute or have any
> questions.
>
> Homepage: http://photobatch.stani.be (free download link below)
> Tutorials: http://photobatch.wikidot.com/tutorials
> Translations: https://translations.launchpad.net/phatch/trunk/+pots/phatch
> License: GPLv3
> Screenshot:
> http://photobatch.wikidot.com/local--files/start/Screenshot-Phatch3d.jpg
> (the perspective and reflection is produced by Phatch itself)
>
> Phatch has many features, like:
> - EXIF information inspector with thumbnail
> - limit jpeg file size when saving
> - tons of actions organized by tags (including perspective, round
> corners, shadow, reflection, ...)
> - console version (Phatch can now run without a gui on servers)
> - batch rename and copy files based on exif metadata
> - data stamping (http://photobatch.wikidot.com)
> - online documentation wiki (http://photobatch.wikidot.com)
>
> Linux only features:
> - desktop or panel droplets on which images or folders can be dropped
> (will be ported to Windows & Mac)
> - Nautilus and desktop integration (with its own mime type and
> nautilus extension)
> - manpage with examples
>
> With python-pyexiv2 the following featues are added:
> - embedding the original EXIF and IPTC tags in the image
>
> All actions mostly have a separate pil function in their source code,
> so they could be read as a recipe book for PIL:
> * Auto Contrast - Maximize image contrast
> * Background - Put colour under transparent image
> * Border - Crop or add border to all sides
> * Brightness - Adjust brightness from black to white
> * Canvas - Crop the image or enlarge canvas without resizing the image
> * Colorize - Colorize grayscale image
> * Common - Copies the most common pixel value
> * Contrast - Adjust from grey to black & white
> * Convert Mode - Convert the color mode of an image (grayscale, RGB,
> RGBA or CMYK)
> * Copy - Copy image file
> * Effect - Blur, Sharpen, Emboss, Smooth, ...
> * Equalize - Equalize the image histogram
> * Fit - Downsize and crop image with fixed ratio
> * Grayscale - Fade all colours to gray
> * Invert - Invert the colors of the image (negative)
> * Maximum - Copies the maximum pixel value
> * Mask - Apply a transparency mask
> [...]

Now that we are at image manipulation does anyone know of a good,
possibly python based, image manipulation tool that can do the same as
the windows tool andrea mosaic?

http://www.andreaplanet.com/andreamosaic/samples/

Stani, if this is a good place for feature requests I would like to add it :)

Cheers,
Daniel