usenet problem

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Thu Feb 21 07:22:04 EST 2008

Jacob Davis <j.foster.davis at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi. I am a newbie to usenet. I am using mac and have downloaded a
> free usenet client, "MT-NewsWatcher". I put in comp.lang.python but
> it says that it cannot get the address of the news server host.

'comp.lang.python' is the name of the newsgroup, not the name of a
host (machine). Usenet newsgroups are accessible from many different
machines worldwide, all of which propagate the messages to each other
so that (ideally) any one group can be treated as a single group
distributed across the world.

    <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet>

You need to access the newsgroup via one of those servers, called a
"news feed" or "Usenet provider". That server's hostname is what you
need to configure your software to connect with.

--
 \     Rommel: "Don't move, or I'll turn the key on this can of Spam!" |
  `\                             -- The Goon Show, _Rommel's Treasure_ |