Why must implementing Python be hard unlike Scheme?

George Sakkis george.sakkis at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 01:50:32 EST 2008

On Feb 19, 1:15 am, "seber... at spawar.navy.mil"
<seber... at spawar.navy.mil> wrote:

> I'm learning Scheme and I am amazed how easy it is to start building a
> half baked Scheme implementation that somewhat works.
>
> After knowing Python for *years* I have no idea how to actually
> implement the darn thing.

>From http://swiss.csail.mit.edu/projects/scheme/, "(Scheme) was
designed to have an exceptionally clear and simple semantics and few
different ways to form expressions". Apparently it did very well in
this department, but for most other programming languages minimality
is not the top priority. Python is not an exception.

> Does this have to be true?  Beneath the more complex syntax are there
> a few core design principles/objects/relationships to help in grokking
> the whole thing? Got any related links?

http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/getting-started.html#what-is-pypy

George