Looking for library to estimate likeness of two strings

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Feb 7 15:34:35 EST 2008

En Thu, 07 Feb 2008 13:25:14 -0200, agenkin at gmail.com <agenkin at gmail.com>
escribió:

> Many thanks for the excellent leads.  I've also found several
> functions to find phonetic similarity between English names: the
> mentioned above soundex, then, also, one called metaphone.  I'm now
> thinking of the best way to use some combination of these functions.

You may be interested in this article which discusses some techniques used
to match similar records:

Record Linkage: A Machine Learning Approach, A Toolbox, and A Digital
Government Web Service (2003)
Mohamed G. Elfeky, Vassilios S. Verykios, Ahmed K. Elmagarmid, Thanaa
M. Ghanem, Ahmed R. Huwait.
http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/elfeky03record.html

--
Gabriel Genellina