smtpd module

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Feb 6 12:51:12 EST 2008

En Wed, 06 Feb 2008 05:36:05 -0200, Stefan Witzel
<stefan.witzel at zvw.uni-goettingen.de> escribi�:

> the documentation of the smtpd module in the Python Library Reference
> is very short, I think. Are there any examples available? Especially
> I'm interested in the DebuggingServer.

Yes, the documentation is rather incomplete.
SMTPServer is an abstract class; it accepts local connections and handles
them, but doesn't know what to do with the received message. Subclasses
must override the process_message method to do something useful.

DebuggingServer is the simplest subclass; it just prints the received
message and nothing more, the message isn't delivered at all. Useful when
you want to test some program that sends messages but you don't want them
to be actually delivered.

PureProxy delivers the message to the upstream SMTP server (defined in the
constructor). By example:

localsmtpd = smtpd.PureProxy(('localhost',2500),('smtp.whatever.com',25))
asyncore.loop()

Then you (or your MUA, or any program, or a python script using smtplib)
can connect locally to port 2500 and send messages; they will be delivered
to smtp.whatever.com.

You can subclass PureProxy and pre-process the message before it is sent;
you could block some addresses, disallow attachments, add those annoying
disclaimers... MailmanProxy, by example, is a PureProxy subclass that
intercepts messages addressed to mailman and processes them directly.

--
Gabriel Genellina