brain stuck. whats occurring here?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Feb 8 10:58:53 EST 2008

Ben Finney wrote:
> "Mariano Suárez-Alvarez" <mariano.suarezalvarez at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Feb 7, 3:38 pm, Matthew_WAR... at bnpparibas.com wrote:
>>> [disclaimer dozens of lines long]
>> Is this absurd signature really necessary?
>
> No.
>
>     <URL:http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/>

"Necessary" is dependent on control, of course, and I believe many
people are in the same situation as Matthew. If they want to use
corporate email they have to put up with the crap that their
ill-informed legal department makes the sysadmins configure the outgoing
mailer to add.

That particular trailing crud would be much nicer if they'd put a space
after the leading "--", that way at least we wouldn't have to trim them
out of our replies. This merely tells us that the sysadmins are as
ill-informed as the legal staff ... or perhaps it's just Matthew trying
his best to help us, since I see it appears above the list mailer
trailer. The system is probably trimming the trailing spaces off the
message body. Oh well, ...

regards
  steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119