Too many open files

Mon Feb 4 09:54:57 EST 2008

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 13:57:39 +0100, AMD wrote:

> The problem I have under windows is that as soon as I get to 500 files I
> get the Too many open files message. I tried the same thing in Delphi
> and I can get to 3000 files. How can I increase the number of open files
> in Python?

Windows XP has a limit of 512 files opened by any process, including
stdin, stdout and stderr, so your code is probably failing after file
number 509.

http://forums.devx.com/archive/index.php/t-136946.html

It's almost certainly not a Python problem, because under Linux I can
open 1000+ files without blinking.

I don't know how Delphi works around that issue. Perhaps one of the
Windows gurus can advise if there's a way to increase that limit from 512?

--
Steven