Why not a Python compiler?

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Wed Feb 6 13:16:48 EST 2008

Hi Luis,

Luis M. Gonzalez wrote:
> Well, lets suppose that being faster than C is the real goal...

How about we call it a very long-term dream?

> Are you confident that it will be reached?

We have ideas how to get there, but it is really rather long-term. There
will be a lot of research needed to achieve that for sure.

> How far is it at this moment?

Since a year already we have a JIT that makes quite fast code for purely
integer-type operations. Quite fast meaning about the speed of gcc -O0.
So far it is not faster than Psyco (it supports generators, though). We
are confident that the JIT will get substantially better this year
(probably better than Psyco). Where exactly this will leave us we don't
know.

> I've been following the project but the scarcity of news is getting me
> anxious...

Read the blog: morepypy.blogspot.com :-)

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich