linux disc space

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Feb 15 17:12:12 EST 2008

Jeff Schwab wrote:
> I'm not sure how superuser-only space would be reserved in the first
> place.  I don't see anything relevant in the fdisk man page.

The UFS and ext2 filesystem space allocation routines become very
inefficient when free space gets too low, so for regular uses the
filesystem is considered full before that threshold is reached. You can
adjust the threshold setting (amon others) with tunefs.

Root uid processes can continue to use disk space after that point so
that various daemon processes don't stop, and so that recovery actions
can be taken.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119