What should I use under *nix instead of freeze?

Noah noah at noah.org
Fri Feb 1 19:30:33 EST 2008

On Feb 1, 3:08 pm, Mike Kent <mrmak... at cox.net> wrote:
> In a comment Guido made on a recent bug report for the 'freeze'
> utility, he stated:
>
> "I think nobody really cares about freeze any more -- it isn't
> maintained."
>
> That being the case, what is the preferred/best replacement for freeze
> on a *nix platform?  I'm looking for something that, like freeze,
> turns my application into a single-file executable, of the smallest
> size possible, that can be executed on a machine with no Python
> installation or development system.

This isn't a complete answer -- it requires Python, but
you might figure out a way to also embed an interpreter and
libraries.
I remember seeing such an installation somewhere (I think on
SourceForge),
but I don't remember the name of it. At any rate, this explains how
package your python project and libs as a self-extracting compressed
executable:

    http://www.noah.org/wiki/Python_zip_exe

--
Noah Spurrier