Pythons & Ladders

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Feb 28 16:08:46 EST 2008

On 28 Feb, 21:08, Benoit <benoit.barberou... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Forgive my language concerning C++ as its turned the thread into
> something I did not intend. I merely wished to point out that Python
> was easier for me to learn than C++.  To Schwab, its likely that Mark
> Lutz is simply a better instructor than my professor.

I think the remark about C++ just hit a nerve with certain people, and
then you're likely to get all sorts of low quality remarks from
perpetual bystanders. Returning to your original enquiry, however...

Perhaps you would benefit from looking at this page:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/Programmers

If you feel that you need more practical experience, the following
page has some suggestions, although it's rather focused on people
"mucking in" and fixing things around Python rather than pure
recreation:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/CodingProjectIdeas

And the volunteers page is possibly a bit formal for someone just
wanting to improve their skills:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/VolunteerOpportunities

Paul

P.S. There's another remark that could be made about the project ideas
page, editing practices, and an insufficiently publicised mailing
list, but I'll leave that for another time.