Multiple interpreters retaining huge amounts of memory

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Feb 8 02:40:41 EST 2008

> Each cycle leaks (or loses) 132k, which is a significant hit -- in my
> real program the hit is around 800k/interpreter.
>
> I ran it through purify (after rebuilding python with the puremodule, no
> pymalloc, no optimization, no threads, and debugging), and while the
> results are somewhat ambiguous, it appears that Py_EndInterpreter isn't
> cleaning up:
>

> A) The site module
> B) The builtins module
>
> Is there some way to properly clean these up prior to the end of
> Py_EndInterpreter?

You might be misinterpreting what you are seeing. Can you provide
that test case so that others are able to reproduce your results?

I would guess that the error is in the SWIG module, not in the
cleanup of the site or builtins modules. They should cleanup fine.
If there was a systematic error with the cleanup of these modules,
presence of the SWIG module should be irrelevant.

Regards,
Martin