OT: Speed of light [was Re: Why not a Python compiler?]

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Feb 11 17:44:23 EST 2008

Grant Edwards wrote:

> On 2008-02-09, Thomas Dybdahl Ahle <lobais at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Quantum mechanics are closely related to philosophy.
>
> I've never understood that claim.  You can philosophize about
> anything: biology, math, weather, the stars, the moon, and so
> on.  I don't see how QM is any more related to philosophy than
> any other field in science.

It probably comes from reading popularizations that make the really
silly attempt to join physics to Eastern philosophy and metaphysics, for
instance, garbage like _The Tao of Physics_.  Modern physics can get
weird and spooky and counterintuitive, but any real connection made with
Eastern philosophy is only in the eye of the beholder.

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM, Y!M erikmaxfrancis
   I woke up this morning / You were the first thing on my mind
    -- India Arie