OT: Speed of light [was Re: Why not a Python compiler?]

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Sat Feb 9 23:34:07 EST 2008

En Sat, 09 Feb 2008 19:01:31 -0200, Doug Morse <morse at edoug.org> escribi�:

> So, showing of my physics ignorance:  I presume then that this means that
> light, say from the sun, is actually sending particles to the earth,
> since the
> space between is mostly vacuum?  Or is there enough material in the
> near-vacuum of space for propogation to occur?

Before the famous Michelson-Morley experiment (end of s. XIX), some
physicists would have said "light propagates over ether, some kind of
matter that fills the whole space but has no measurable mass", but the
experiment failed to show any evidence of it existence.
Then it was hard to explain light propagation as a wave (but Maxwell
equations appeared to be so right!), and previous experiments showed that
light was not made of particles either. Until DeBroglie formulated its
hypothesis of dual nature of matter (and light): wave and particle at the
same time.

--
Gabriel Genellina