boolean decisions

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Wed Feb 6 06:26:00 EST 2008

news-noreply at statestep.com wrote:
> Statestep (which includes Python code generation) might
> be something to look at.
> It's designed to help the user create simplified rules
> to begin with rather than derive them post hoc (it's
> really for much bigger problems where enumerating
> individual rules like you've done would be impractical)
> However, if you start with an "exploded" set of atomic
> rules like you now have, you could create simplified
> rules yourself, progressively deleting the rules you are
> replacing (identified as overlaps by Statestep); this
> way, at least the tool is checking the correctness of
> the transformation from individual to simplified rules
> (if you make a mistake then a conflict will be reported
> rather than an overlap).
>
> Michael
All of this has been useful, but I over estimated the people I work with. having
reduced the problem to only 4 input variables. They carefully produced a
spreadsheet with 20 scenarios. There were clearly 4 scenarios missing, but also
4 pairs of duplicates in the input space; worse only one of the duplicate pairs
agreed on the action. sigh
-impossibly yrs-
Robin Becker