wxpython file dialog

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 12:06:15 EST 2008

On Feb 10, 6:41 am, Janwillem <jwevd... at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Guilherme Polo wrote:
> > 2008/2/10, Janwillem <jwevd... at xs4all.nl>:
> >> Guilherme Polo wrote:

> >>  >>  thumbnails vie in stead of list view?
> >>  >>  thanks, janwillem
>
> >>  >> --
> >>  >>  http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list

> >>  > wx.FileDialog for that purpose.
>
> >> Thanks for the hint, very neat widget. However, it seems not to support
> >>  multiple selection. My application selects from a series of low light
> >>  photographs of the same subject the sharpest one (like BSS on Nikon
> >>  Coolpix). So I need multiple selection and thumbnails. It works with
> >>  wx.FileDialog style=FD_MULTIPLE but I have to select thumbnail view
> >>  every time.
>
> >> Janwillem
> >>  --
>
> > Unfortunately that is not possible with imagebrowser because it sets
> > the listbox for single selection in the code. A patch will fix this.
> > Now continuing on FileDialog.. I don't have the option to change to
> > thumbnail view here, I guess you are using Windows, so it is not
> > cross-platform. imagebrowser is cross-platform because it is all done
> > by wxPython.
>
> The application is meant to become x-platform; prefarably linux osX and
> win. I use:
>
> dialog=wx.FileDialog(None,'Choose picture file',defDir,\
>      style=wx.OPEN | wx.FD_MULTIPLE,wildcard=wcard)
>
> and supposed that the wx dialog would work on linux. I did not yet test
> this because the app depends on a lib (dll) which I have not yet made to
> work in Linux (it's pascal and freepascal has a problem I have to dive
> into).

What is your application supposed to do? In the meantime, I recommend
looking at this control:

http://xoomer.alice.it/infinity77/main/ThumbnailCtrl.html

You can probably get what you need from it. I also highly recommend
posting to the wxPython user's group where you'll get more wx-specific
help. See below:

http://wxpython.org/maillist.php

If you download the venerable wxPython Demo from wxPython.org, you can
check out other related widgets such as wx.ImageBrowser or the
wx.BitmapComboBox.

HTH

Mike