Linux/Python Issues

Bjoern Schliessmann usenet-mail-0306.20.chr0n0ss at spamgourmet.com
Tue Feb 19 10:54:01 EST 2008

MartinRinehart at gmail.com wrote:

> CNR, which is now free, is absolutely marvelous when it's got what
> you need. If Python2.5 were in the warehouse, I'd have clicked,
> gone to make a cup of coffee and the appropriate icon would be on
> my desktop when I came back.

Why don't you switch to a distribution which offers Python 2.5
binaries? All major ones do (from Debian and Ubuntu I know it for
sure). And there's no time for coffee unless you've got a /really/
slow computer.

> If I were Python.org I'd not consider anything ready for release
> until it was in the warehouse.

Sorry, the "python.org warehouse" only offers construction sets. If
you "order" it, you'll have to build it yourself the same way you
would build all other kits. This requires a bit of knowledge and
experience.

So why not use a distribution that doesn't force the users to build
recent software but do it themselves for their users?

Regards,

Björn

--
BOFH excuse #326:

We need a licensed electrician to replace the light bulbs in the
computer room.