how to run python script on remote machine

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Sat Feb 9 02:09:07 EST 2008

Praveena Boppudi (c) wrote:
> Can anyone help me in executing python scripts on remote computer? Both
> are windows machines.

A fair amount depends on just you want to achieve in the wider
picture. I'm going to assume that you have Python/pywin32 installed
on both machines. You can, for example, use DCOM to instantiate a
remote Python interpreter but the rest you probably be quite hard
word. Assuming, though, that you're able to install and run some
suitable modules on both sides then the possibilities are many.
For some (non-exhaustive) examples:

A simple option is Pyro[1] which has the benefit of being x-platform.
Twisted[2] is very broad and has a lot of support although its learning
curve is considered quite steep. Depending on the exact nature of
what you're trying to do you could look at one of the tuplespace
implementations[3]. Or you could use xmlrpc[4] from the stdlib. It has
its limitations, but is simple and effective. For parallel processing
you might try processing[5] (which has the added benefit of being
plug-compatible with the threading module) or one of the other parallel
libs.

There's loads more -- CORBA, Ice, roll-your-own, PyRPC etc. but there's
a world of difference between "executing a script on some other box" and,
say, solving an essentially distributed problem using multiple CPUs.

TJG

[1] http://pyro.sf.net
[2] http://twistedmatrix.com
[3] http://nws-py.sourceforge.net/