graphing/plotting with python and interface builder

Peter Wang misterwang at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 01:30:53 EST 2008

On Feb 22, 10:08 pm, Jacob Davis <j.foster.da... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am developing for mac and using Xcode and Interface Builder 3.0.  I
> can make a simple application, but I am having a hard time trying to
> figure out a good way to create a graph orplotfor a class project.
>
> Does anybody have any tips on where to get started, or on how to do
> this?
>
> I have searched far for several days now, but I don't know if I am on
> the right track.  Any help is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Jake

Jake, are you using any python-specific GUI libraries like wxPython,
Qt, or Tk?  The Chaco plotting toolkit (http://code.enthought.com/
chaco)  supports several different mechanisms for rendering on OS X;
the default is to render via Quartz, but this requires wx or Qt.  I am
also currently working on a (somewhat experimental) pure OpenGL
backend, which doesn't require wxPython or Qt, just an active OpenGL
context.

Do you want to generate a fairly static plot, or do you want the user
to be able to interact with it in some way?

-Peter