different instances with different data descriptors with the same name

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Mon Feb 18 06:36:38 EST 2008

Fabrizio Pollastri wrote:

> Data descriptors are set as attributes of object types. So if one has many
> instances of the same class and wants each instance to have a different
> property (data descriptor) that can be accessed with a unique attribute
> name, it seems to me that there is no solution with data descriptors.
> There is any workaround to this? Thank in advance for any help.

You can invent a naming convention and then invoke the getter/setter
explicitly:

>>> class A(object):
...     def __getattr__(self, name):
...             if not name.startswith("_prop_"):
...                     return getattr(self, "_prop_" + name).__get__(self)
...             raise AttributeError(name)
>>> a = A()
>>> a.p
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "<stdin>", line 4, in __getattr__
  File "<stdin>", line 5, in __getattr__
AttributeError: _prop_p
>>> a._prop_p = property(lambda self: self.x * self.x)
>>> a.x = 42
>>> a.p
1764

But what are you really trying to do?