Chinese character error

John Deas john.deas at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 17:38:27 EST 2008

On Feb 9, 3:00 am, "Mark Tolonen" <mark.e.tolo... at mailinator.com>
wrote:
> "Chris" <cwi... at gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:0d61dcee-5102-4d35-9b74-9538335d33ca at l32g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
>

> > On Feb 8, 11:29 am, John Deas <john.d... at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
>
> >> I made a small script to recursively copy files from a directory tree
> >> to an exportDir only if they have an mp3 extension :
>
> >> a=os.walk(os.getcwd())
> >> for root, dirs, files in a:
> >>         for currFile in files:
> >>                 pathCurrFile=os.path.join(root, currFile)
> >>                 if mp3Reg.search(pathCurrFile):
> >>                         shutil.copy(pathCurrFile,exportDir)
> >>                 else:
> >>                         print pathCurrFile
>
> >> The problem is that I get stuck with files containing name in
> >> Chinese :
>
> >> Traceback (most recent call last):
> >>   File "/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/vku/Mes documents/Ma
> >> musique/iTunes/i
> >> Tunes Music/script.py", line 21, in <module>
> >>     shutil.copy(pathCurrFile,exportDir)
> >>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/shutil.py", line 80, in copy
> >>     copyfile(src, dst)
> >>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/shutil.py", line 46, in copyfile
> >>     fsrc = open(src, 'rb')
> >> IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/cygdrive/c/Documents
> >> and Setting
> >> s/vku/Mes documents/Ma musique/iTunes/iTunes Music/Podcasts/Learn
> >> Chinese - Chin
> >> esePod/785 Advanced - ????.mp3'
>
> >> I am using python oncygwin, so could this be the source of the error,
> >> and is there a way to fix this ?
>
> > It has to do with the way the OS reports the filename.  Explorers GUI
> > diplays it as square blocks and both CmdPrompt +Cygwindisplay it as
> > Question marks as does the os.listdir in Python.  Copying Chinese
> > Characters and checking their Ordinal Values directly from python gave
> > me for eg. 230+188+162 for 1 Chinese Charater yet Python shows it is
> > Ordinal 63 (a Question Mark) after reading the filename.
>
> > Those files you will need to manually copy, I even tried
> > find /cygdrive/d/Temp/ -name "*.mp3" -exec cp {} /cygdrive/d/Temp/
> > test/ \;
> > which yielded
> > cp: cannot stat '/cygdrive/d/Temp/??.mp3': No such file or directory
>
> If you call os.walk() with a Unicode string, it's return values will be
> Unicode as well and you should be able to process files with non-ASCII
> characters.  This worked for me (on Windows):
>
> import os
> import shutil
> import fnmatch
>
> exportDir = u'c:\\mp3s'
>
> a=os.walk(os.getcwdu()) # Unicode version of os.getcwd()
> for root, dirs, files in a:
>     for currFile in files:
>         pathCurrFile=os.path.join(root, currFile)
>         if fnmatch.fnmatch(pathCurrFile,u'*.mp3'):
>             shutil.copy(pathCurrFile,exportDir)
>         else:
>             print pathCurrFile
>
> --Mark

Hi,

I tried to play around with the advice you gave me.

When I do this in the directory containing an unicode-named mp3:

import os, shutil
os.listdir(os.getcwdu())

I get :

[u'The Pixies - Where is my mind (fight club).mp3', u'???.mp3']

Than, if try to copy it with :

shutil.copy(os.listdir(os.getcwdu())[1],u'test.mp3')

I get :

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/shutil.py", line 80, in copy
    copyfile(src, dst)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/shutil.py", line 46, in copyfi
    fsrc = open(src, 'rb')
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'???.mp3'

Have you any idea why this is not working on my computer ?

Tanks,

John Deas