OT: Star Wars and parsecs [was Re: Why not a Python compiler?]

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Feb 7 18:05:45 EST 2008

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 13:44:05 -0700, Ivan Van Laningham wrote:
>
>> Gary Kurtz at SunCon 77 explained that it was a test to see if Obi-Wan
>> knew what he was doing; supposedly, Obi-Wan's expression indicated that
>> he knew Solo was feeding him shit.
>
> Why the hell would the pilot care whether the passengers knew what a
> parsec was? Did Concorde pilots quiz their passengers what Mach 1 means?

They didn't need to, since the aircraft's speed was displayed inside the
cabin as a Mach number.

> Especially a pirate like Solo, who really only cared about one question:
> "can the passenger pay?".
>

>> I think Lucas didn't have a clue, myself; it's not credible that
>> citizens of a starfaring civilization who deliberately set out to hire a
>> starship wouldn't know the difference between time and distance. Occam's
>> razor says Lucas screwed up and doesn't want to admit it.
>
> For sure.

What's more, he won't pay dues so ILM can be a full sponsor member of
the PSF. It doesn't seem credible to me that an organization of that
size couldn't find $2,000 in its budget to support the language of which
it may well be the largest single user in the world. Not that I
seriously imagine George Lucas micromanages the budget down to that level.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119