Why not a Python compiler?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Feb 7 09:06:32 EST 2008

Ryszard Szopa wrote:
> On Feb 5, 9:30 am, cokofree... at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> I don't know the exact details but I think the issue is the dynamic
>> nature of Python makes it impossible to correctly store the various
>> types and changes into compiled code. Someone else will probably be
>> able to provide a good reason as to why it isn't very feasible, nor a
>> good idea. If you want to speed up your python look at Psyco. http://psyco.sourceforge.net/
>
> Yeah, but exactly what features make it so hard to write a compiler
> for Python?
> [...]

a. People tell me writing a compiler for Python is hard.

b. It's certainly way to hard for me.

c. But hey, I've heard about this neat language called Common Lisp that
has a compiler. It looks a lot like Python.

d. So why can't you brainboxes write a compiler for Python?

Please tell me if I'm missing anything from this summary of your thought
processes.

regards
   Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119