Linux Journal Survey

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat Feb 2 14:18:11 EST 2008

Albert van der Horst wrote:
> In article <56eb736f-5ba3-417a-a4c1-3a310a67c3d3 at s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
> Russ P. <Russ.Paielli at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> 18. What is your favorite programming language?
>>>
>>> (15 choices, Python not included)
>>>
>>> 19. What is your favorite scripting language?
>>>
>>> o Python
>>>
>>> o Perl
>>>
>>> (5 more choices)
>>>
>>> Python is much more than a "scripting language" (whatever this means,
>>> other than a semi-derogatory term used by clueless PHBs). Sorry, I'll
>>> pass.
>>>
>>> George
>>
>> Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I think of a Python
>> "script" as a flat source file with no (or few) functions or classes,
>> whereas a full-blown "program" has functions and classes. Both have
>> their place.
>>
>> I agree it is unfortunate that the Linux World poll classified Python
>> as a "scripting language." I suspect they did that because Python is
>> not (typically) compiled and does not have static typing.
>
> In the context of linux a programming language is
> a language that generates an ELF binary executable to be stored
> in a /.../bin/ directory.
> A scripting language is a language whose programs are normally
> distributed in human-readable form. It is appropriate to call
> such a program a script. If the first two characters is "#!"
> and the execution bit is set, it is a script in the linux sense.
>
> So as far as I can tell it boils down to a clear technical
> distinction, and I'm sure they didn't mean offence.

What you describe as a scripting language is normally referred to as a
"interpreted language". Of course with the introduction of virtual
machines we can no longer talk about "compiled languages" unambiguously.
Compiling used to mean "compiling to machine code", but alas no longer.

"Scripting language" has always had a fairly nebulous meaning.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119