TypeError: only length-1 arrays can be converted to Python scalars.

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 14:51:52 EST 2008

nure123 at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Could anybody tell me what is the problem with the following sequence
> with which I always get the above error message. I use Numeric and
> Python 2.4
>
> x=array([1,2,3,4])
> y=exp(x)

Presumably, you are using exp() from the builtin module math, which knows
nothing about Numeric. Use Numeric.exp() instead.

I do recommend upgrading to numpy and asking further questions on the numpy
mailing list.

   http://www.scipy.org/Mailing_Lists

When reporting an error, please include the smallest *complete* snippet of code
that demonstrates the problem, as well as the complete traceback.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco