How about adding rational fraction to Python?

Ross Ridge rridge at caffeine.csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Feb 28 22:56:02 EST 2008

Steven D'Aprano  <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> wrote:
>But that's not true.  The consensus, across the majority of people (both
>programmers and non-programmers alike) is that 1/2 should return 0.5.

You're deluding yourself.  If there were a concensus then this issue then
it wouldn't be so controversial.  Even the Python developers admitted
that in the documentation for Python 2.2 when the feature was first
introduced:

	(The controversy is over whether this is really a design flaw,
	and whether it's worth breaking existing code to fix this. It's
	caused endless discussions on python-dev, and in July 2001 erupted
	into an storm of acidly sarcastic postings on comp.lang.python. I
	won't argue for either side here and will stick to describing
	what's implemented in 2.2. Read PEP 238 for a summary of arguments
	and counter-arguments.)

The decision to change Python's behavior wasn't made by consensus,
or by popular vote.  It was made by fiat.

						Ross Ridge

--
 l/  //	  Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo]  rridge at csclub.uwaterloo.ca