OT: Speed of light [was Re: Why not a Python compiler?]

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Feb 13 14:02:27 EST 2008

On 2008-02-13, Jeff Schwab <jeff at schwabcenter.com> wrote:

>> Eh? Last I checked both pound and kilogram are units of mass, so where is
>> the incompatibility?
>
> I've never heard of "pound" as a unit of mass.  At least where I went to
> school (Boston, MA), "pound" is the English unit of force, "slug" is the
> (rarely used) English unit of mass,

Back in the day, I was once working on a fire control system
for the Navy.  All the units in the calculations were purely
metric except for one: air density was in slugs/m3.  I always
suspected that was somebody's attempt at humor.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Where does it go when
                                  at               you flush?