Python's BNF

MartinRinehart at gmail.com MartinRinehart at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 12:01:49 EST 2008

Paul McGuire wrote:
< plus sundry other parts of the kitchen
> sink) that was passed BY PROJECT CODING STANDARDS to EVERY FUNCTION IN
> EVERY MODULE!  Supposedly, this was done to cure access problems to a
> global data structure.

Beautiful example of how totally stupid actions can be taken in the
name of
avoiding globals.

Wikipedia and PEP 8 both agree with me, re globals. OK way to
eliminate chained
argument passing, but keep them within one module.

_OFILE, by the way, is the output file. It's contract with the rest of
the module was
to be available for writing to anyone with data to write. I use the
Java convention
of ALLCAPS for naming things that I would declare as CONSTANT if
Python had
such a declaration.