OT: Speed of light [was Re: Why not a Python compiler?]

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Feb 13 18:09:54 EST 2008

Grant Edwards wrote:

> A slug is 14.593903 kg according to the trysty old Unix "units"
> program.  Hmm, I always thought a slug weighed exactly 32 lbs,
> but I see it's 32.174049.  Learn something new every day...

It's defined so that 1 slug times the acceleration due to gravity is a
pound.  The acceleration due to gravity is only approximately 32 ft/s^2,
so you were just remembering the short-hand approximation for 1 gee.

Let's hear it for incoherent unit systems ...

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM, Y!M erikmaxfrancis
   Man has wrested from nature the power to make the world a desert or
    to make deserts bloom. -- Adlai Stevenson, 1952