name of client module

Nick Stinemates nick at stinemates.org
Mon Feb 18 22:19:44 EST 2008

Jeff Schwab wrote:
> Nick Stinemates wrote:
>
>>> I'm not saying I don't want to do that.  I'm saying that, in addition to
>>> what you've written, I want foo to know it's being imported, and by whom.
>>>

> Please don't snip so much.
>

>> You're still not explaining a real example of what this could be used for.
>>

> Why would you say something like that?  I told you *exactly* what I
> wanted to use it for.  See Berwyn's post on the recent thread "Double
> underscores -- ugly?"  He suggests that a suitable replacement for "if
> __name__ == '__main__'" might be "if sys.main()".  I was looking for a
> way to implement that kind of function.  Just like I told you when you
> asked me.  You snipped it, along with most of the post.
>

>> Oh well, here's an example of an implementation of what you want to do.
>>

> Thanks.

Ah, I snipped because I was only replying to that specific part and
thought there was an archive of the rest. If that is unconventional I'll
stop.

I suppose I did get a bit carried away. It seems people always want to
know 'who is calling my object' but I think writing a design around that is:

    a) Really hard to follow, much like GoTo statements
    b) Poorly thought out
    and, probably much more importantly
    c) Grouping code together like that really limits what you can do
    with it..

I'm sorry if I offended.

--
Nick Stinemates (nick at stinemates.org)