Break lines?

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Tue Feb 26 11:01:13 EST 2008

> I have made this string:
>
> TITLE          = 'Efficiency of set operations: sort model,
> 		 (cphstl::set::insert(p,e)^n cphstl::set::insert(e)), integer'
>
> But I am not allowed to break the line like that:
>
> IndentationError: unexpected indent
>
> How do I break a line?

Depends on what you want.  You can embed running strings with
newlines using triple-quotes (either single- or double-quotes):

  TITLE = """Efficiency...
    (cphstl:..."""

Or you can use string concatenation using line-continuations:

  TITLE = "Efficiency..." \
    "(cphstl:..."

or using parens

  TITLE = ("Efficiency..."
    "(cphstl:...")

I like the clean'ness of the first version, but sometimes get
irked by it including my leading whitespace (there are some
workarounds, but all involve more than trivial effort).  I tend
to use the 2nd in the case you describe, but usually using the
3rd version in all other cases where it's as a parameter to a
function call or some other bracketed/braced construct.

-tkc