GUI definition for web and desktop

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sun Feb 3 14:42:45 EST 2008

Daniel Fetchinson wrote:
> I'm looking for a simple text based GUI definition format and
> associated python modules to work with it that is capable of defining
> simple GUI's for *both* the web and the desktop. I have an application
> that is accessible through the web and also through desktop
> applications and both clients should be presented a simple dialog GUI.
[...]
> I haven't yet decided on the desktop client GUI library, it depends on
> which library has such a dynamically generatable interface from a text
> file. But it should be cross platform between linux and windows.

That sounds a lot like XUL to me. That's the language that Mozilla browsers
use for their GUI. AFAIR, it had Python bindings through XPCOM the last time I
looked into it.

http://www.mozilla.org/why/framework.html

On the other hand, if you want pure HTML for your web app, maybe you should
consider making the desktop app HTML-based, too?

Stefan