Article of interest: Python pros/cons for the enterprise

Nicola Musatti nicola.musatti at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 07:55:13 EST 2008

On Feb 26, 12:58 pm, Paul Boddie <p... at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> On 25 Feb, 19:44, Nicola Musatti <nicola.musa... at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Witness the kind of
> > libraries/framework that used to and still come with some commercial C+
> > + implementation, and even some free/open source ones; Boost, ACE and
> > wxWidgets are the first that come to mind.
>
> Oh, that's another good reason for C++'s decline: the fragmentation of
> the development community through a plethora of proprietary products,
> each one with its advocates and a relatively small common ground
> (admittedly growing over the years thanks to Free Software and
> standards) between them all. When Java came along, even though the
> best GUI offering was AWT, it was better than nothing and it was one
> of the batteries included. Although Sun's Java was also proprietary,
> it was easier for people to obtain and redistribute, often without per-
> seat or per-unit licensing costs.

C++ was born and acquired its popularity in a period when freely
available software wasn't as common as it is today and corporation
didn't see any kind of advantage in investing in it.

By the way, funny you should mention AWT, given how it was soon
superceded by Swing, which in turn competes against SWT. And given the
state of the Python web framekork scene if I were you I'd start
looking for another language ;-)

Cheers,
Nicola Musatti