Python GUI toolkit

miller.paul.w at gmail.com miller.paul.w at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 12:51:15 EST 2008

On Feb 3, 10:18 am, defa... at defaulted.default wrote:
> what would be the best python GUI toolkit, it must be cross platform.
>
> i have tried gtk, but it interface are real bad and its coding was difficult
> so i dropped it,

[...]

If "cross-platform," and "nice API" are your requirements, I recommend
you investigate Tkinter.  I find it fairly easy to get my head around,
and it's available nearly everywhere Python is.  It doesn't even
depend on gtk or qt.  The widgets are fairly basic, but you can create
compound widgets in Python by composing the basic widgets, and there
are extensions like Tix and Python Megawidgets that give you more
widgets to work with.

If you want to see a couple examples of what can be done with Tkinter,
take a look at idle (the IDE that comes with most Python
distributions), and pysol (a solitaire game written in Python using
Tkinter).