What is wrong with this

nure123 at gmail.com nure123 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 22:40:25 EST 2008

On Feb 9, 8:56 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 16:44:52 -0800, nure123 wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I am new to Python and would be grateful if anyone could tell me what is
> > wrong with the following statement.
>
> > Y=array([1/S, 0*lam])
>
> > where
> > S=[1, 2, 3, 4]
> > lam=[5, 6, 7, 8]
>
> Oh, a guessing game! I love guessing games.
>
> Let's see now... did you actually want to do a Fourier transform of some
> data?
>
> If not, perhaps you could tell us what you expected to happen, and what
> actually happened, so we can stop guessing and actually help.
>
> --
> Steven

I get an error like 'inconsistent shape in sequence.' I changed it to
Y=array([1/S, zeros(len(lam))])

it works fine. But I am still interested in knowing why did the
original programmer did not get any error whereas I got an error with
the statement : Y=array([1/S, 0*lam])