Multiple interpreters retaining huge amounts of memory

Graham Dumpleton Graham.Dumpleton at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 00:32:29 EST 2008

On Feb 2, 12:34 pm, "Martin v. Löwis" <mar... at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> > Is there some way to track references per interpreter, or to get the
> > memory allocator to set up seperate arenas per interpreter so that it
> > can remove all allocated memory when the interpreter exits?
>
> No. The multi-interpreter feature doesn't really work, so you are
> basically on your own. If you find out what the problem is, please
> submit patches to bugs.python.org.
>
> In any case, the strategy you propose (with multiple arenas) would *not*
> work, since some objects have to be shared across interpreters.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

The multi interpreter feature has some limitations, but if you know
what you are doing and your application can be run within those
limitations then it works fine.

If you are going to make a comment such as 'multi-interpreter feature
doesn't really work' you really should substantiate it by pointing to
where it is documented what the problems are or enumerate yourself
exactly what the issues are. There is already enough FUD being spread
around about the ability to run multiple sub interpreters in an
embedded Python application, so adding more doesn't help.

Oh, it would also be nice to know exactly what embedded systems you
have developed which make use of multiple sub interpreters so we can
gauge with what standing you have to make such a comment.

Graham