What should I use under *nix instead of freeze?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Feb 2 15:28:09 EST 2008

>>> That being the case, what is the preferred/best replacement for freeze
>>> on a *nix platform?
>>
>> I don't think that there is one, or that there should be one.
>>

> So haven't I understood what freeze does? Isn't pyinstaller just that?

No. First, it works on Windows, Linux and Irix only, not on arbitrary
*nix systems. Second, it doesn't create a single executable, but depends
on the extension modules that the host Python interpreter uses. To
compile a simple "print 'Hello, world'" with Python 2.5 on Debian, I
get an executable consisting of 22 binaries.

Regards,
Martin