IronPython vs CPython: faster in 1.6 times?

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 16:42:20 EST 2008

On Feb 5, 6:52 pm, Steve Holden <st... at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> Jeff wrote:
> >IronPythonruns on top of .NET.  I would be suspect of any claims that
> > it is faster than cPython, just as I would of claims that Stackless or
> > Jython are faster.
>
> Well don't be. There are benchmarks that clearly showIronPythonas
> faster for selected tests. Other tests show CPython running more quickly.

This has been our experience at Resolver Systems. Code that makes
heavy use of function calls, non-exceptional exception handling or
arithmetic tends to run faster whereas the built-in types tend to be
slower.

It makes profiling code for optimisation all the more important
because all your usual assumptions about Python performance tend to be
wrong...

Michael Foord
http://www.manning.com/foord