joining strings question

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at wtf.websiteburo.oops.com
Fri Feb 29 10:29:16 EST 2008

patrick.waldo at gmail.com a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I have some data with some categories, titles, subtitles, and a link
> to their pdf and I need to join the title and the subtitle for every
> file and divide them into their separate groups.
>
> So the data comes in like this:
>
> data = ['RULES', 'title','subtitle','pdf',
> 'title1','subtitle1','pdf1','NOTICES','title2','subtitle2','pdf','title3','subtitle3','pdf']
>
> What I'd like to see is this:
>
> [RULES', 'title subtitle','pdf', 'title1 subtitle1','pdf1'],
> ['NOTICES','title2 subtitle2','pdf','title3 subtitle3','pdf'], etc...

I don't know where your data come from, but the data structure is
obviously wrong. It should at least be a list of tuples, ie:

data = [
     ('RULES', [
          ('title', 'subtitle', 'pdf'),
          ('title1', 'subtitle1', 'pdf1')
          ]
     ),
     ('NOTICES',[
         ('title2','subtitle2','pdf',)
         ('title3','subtitle3','pdf')
         ]
     ),
]

> I've racked my brain for a while about this and I can't seem to figure
> it out.  Any ideas would be much appreciated.

If possible, fix the code generating the dataset. Any other solution
will be at best a dirty - and brittle - hack.