Article of interest: Python pros/cons for the enterprise

TerryP codemonkey at nowhere.org
Thu Feb 21 01:20:05 EST 2008

Thanks for the link, was a nice read.

"Have specialized needs better served by other languages that you already
know. For example, if you want to do a lot of text processing and you have
a basement full of Perl programmers, there's no compelling reason to
switch."

Now that really hits the sweet spot hehe.

The threads topic reminds me of a project I had in mind not so long ago, I
wanted to write it in Ruby because I could get it done in a few hours and
move on to other work but chose not to because I could not find a way
to /100%/ secure some information that had to be both kept classified and
apart of the program for business reasons.

So obviously ANSI C and the hunt for a suitable networking library to fill
in the biggest time waster came to mind.

Then I remembered any one we wanted to *prevent* getting that information
out of the Ruby scripts could do the same with a little (easy) forensics
work if the application was done in C or C++. So choosing a language like
Ruby or Python wouldn't be much worse for the situation.

Needless to say I went back to using languages on a scale of best shoe to
fit first and the project got side-stepped by new hardware and a stop-gap
in a can.

--
The young Georgia miss came to the hospital for a checkup.
        "Have you been X-rayed?" asked the doctor.