Must COMMIT after SELECT (was: Very weird behavior in MySQLdb "execute")

Frank Aune Frank.Aune at broadpark.no
Wed Feb 6 10:04:25 EST 2008

On Tuesday 05 February 2008 18:58:49 John Nagle wrote:
>     So you really do have to COMMIT after a SELECT, if you are reusing
> the database connection.  CGI programs usually don't have this issue,
> because their connections don't live long, but long-running FCGI (and maybe
> Twisted) programs do.

I've experienced the same thing for long-running tasks even when using
different connections/cursors against the same db for db queries and log
writing dbhandlers respectively.

Whenever I did a SELECT() on the first connection, the cursor would
stop "seeing" new entries commited in the log table by the other connection.
I always assumed you needed COMMIT() after adding new content to the
database, not after every single query, but this perhaps indicate otherwise?

Regards,
Frank