OT: New Hope [was Re: Why not a Python compiler?]

Fri Feb 8 07:13:15 EST 2008

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 08:25:56 +0100, Torsten Bronger wrote:

> Hallöchen!
>
> Reedick, Andrew writes:

Bah humbug! New Hope, new poke.

Some of us are old enough to remember when Star Wars was Star Wars: the
movie was called Star Wars, the opening credits listed it as Star Wars
(with New Hope merely a subtitle specifically to invoke the flavour of
the Saturday afternoon movies of Lucas' teen years) and the novelization
was called Star Wars.

That novel was credited to Lucas but actually ghost-written by Alan Dean
Foster. The 1976 Sphere Books edition is called Star Wars, it's subtitled
"From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker", and the inside front page refers
to the movie as Star Wars. With no subtitle.

In that book, Han refers to "twelve standard time parts", a clunky and
ugly phrase even stupider than calling it twelve parsecs, which reads and
sounds like real language.

Personally, I think Lucas should have just said that in that particular
galaxy far far away and a long time ago, "parsec" *was* a measure of
time. I'd buy that.

--
Steven