Adding properties to an instance

Jared Grubb jared.grubb at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 15:43:37 EST 2008

Here's one way of doing what you're asking... I would suggest using
__getattribute__ and __setattr__ to dispatch the methods to the custom class
you invent that holds all those properties.

For example (I simplified your makeprops into __init__ just to keep the
example short, but you can probably see the idea here..)

class A(object):
   def __init__(self, **kw):
     class _PropHolder(object):
       pass
     for k,v in kw.items():
       setattr(_PropHolder, k, property(fget=itemgetter(k)))
     self._custom_props = _PropHolder()
   def __getattribute__(self, attr):
      try:
       return getattr(self._custom_props, attr)
     except AttributeError:
       return getattr(self, attr)
   def __setattr__(self, attr, val):
     if hasattr(self._custom_props, attr):