What's "the standard" for code docs?

Preston Landers planders at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 11:59:30 EST 2008

Hey guys and gals.  What are all the cool kids using these days to
document their code?  My goal is to create in-line documentation of
each package/module/class/method and create some semi-nice looking (or
at least usable) packaged documentation from it, in HTML and/or PDF
format.

I've been using effbot's PythonDoc for a while, but it seems like "the
new standard" (if there is one) is docutils and restructured text
(ReST.)  Is that accurate?

Just from glancing at some samples of ReST the actual format looks
much easier to work with in "plain text" in the text editor.
PythonDoc has not been very popular with my team due to its HTML-ish
nature and I think ReST will gain more acceptance.  Of course I don't
want to bother making the jump from PythonDoc to docutils if that
project is somehow a dead end.

thanks for any info or advice you can provide.

Preston