Edit Python code programmatically

Alex noname9968 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 06:38:29 EST 2008

Which library could you recommend to perform simple editing of Python
code (from Python program)? For example, open *.py file, find specific
function definition, add another function call inside, find existing
call and change parameter value, etc.

What I'm trying to implement isn't a real visual programming tool, but
some code-generation is necessary. For now I think I can generate Python
syntax manually (like any text file), but it can become more complicated
in future (like partially implementing code-generation library), plus
there'll always be possibility of corrupting files and losing data (or
having to recover valid Python syntax manually) due to coding mistake.

Thanks