How about adding rational fraction to Python?

Mensanator mensanator at aol.com
Tue Feb 26 13:13:23 EST 2008

On Feb 26, 9:08 am, "D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <da... at druid.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 06:45:45 -0800 (PST)
>
> Carl Banks <pavlovevide... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Feb 26, 9:29 am, "D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <da... at druid.net> wrote:
> > > If 3/4 ever returned 0.75 in any language I would drop that language.
>
> > Have fun dropping Python, then, chief.  Integer division with / is
> > already deprecated, can be disabled ever since Python 2.4, and will be
> > wholly removed in Python 3.0.
>
> I have not been following Python development that closely lately so I
> was not aware of that. I guess I won't be going to Python 3 then.  It's
> great that Python wants to attract young, new programmers.  Too bad
> about us old farts I guess.

Why resign yourself to being old? Why not stay young and envigorated
by learning the new features? How many times have you said "if I knew
then what I know now...". Well, here's your chance. I'm looking
forwards
to it.

> How soon before 2.x is completely deprecated and I have to become a
> Walmart greeter?

Personally, I plan to drop Python if support for the gmpy module
ever dries up. But I won't be a quitter, just have to start using
C which will suck the life out of the room. But what else can I do?