sockets -- basic udp client

rluse1 at gmail.com rluse1 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 02:22:42 EST 2008

If you don't care about the address of the sender, e.g. you are not
going to send anything back, is there an advantage to using recv()?
Or, as a matter of course should you always use recvfrom() with udp
sockets?

I don't know of a reason why you couldn't use recvfrom() all the time,
and that is what I do.  However, I also don't see a reason why you
should
not use recv() if you don't care who the message comes from.
Historically,
though, the ultimate authority on this kind of stuff is

Richard Stevens and his Unix and TCP/IP books

I recommend these books if you want to get into network programming.

Cheers,
  Bob